Sunday, August 19, 2012

You can take it with you

Not much sewing has been taking place this week.  I did manage to finish this nifty clutch that's perfect for taking your sewing supplies out and about.

I made a couple of these for 2 of my sisters as Christmas gifts last year.  My daughter asked for one for her birthday.  She chose the Oceanica fabric from her stash.

The pattern is based on one I found in the Fall 2010 issue of Stitch magazine. There are 4 pockets (or however many you want) and a zipper compartment. The original pattern called for 3 snaps to keep the flap closed.  I really dislike using snaps so I decided to add a cord and button to keep it closed.  This method allows for some adjustment in closing it depending on what's in the clutch. 


I also added a flap that goes across the pockets.  This keeps the items from falling out if it gets turned upside down. 
My plan is to make this in a larger size with maybe a few more features.  This one measures about 9 1/2" x 18" when open and about 5" x 9" when closed.

On another note, I did manage to finally get my first Great Granny block finished.  Yipee.
Only 19 more to go.

jane



3 comments :

  1. Dropping by from the Sew Darn Crafty Link Party.

    Love the take along sewing kit. And your Granny Square quilt block is so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cute and handy little sewing clutch. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dropping by from the Sew Darn Crafty Link Party. Love the idea of putting a flap on. Karen www.madewithmytwohands.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete