Friday, September 12, 2014

Friday Fassett Finish

Well, it's Friday and have my Kaffe Fassett Stripes quilt finished.
Last summer (2013) I purchased fat-eighth bundle of Kaffe Fassett stripes specifically to make this type of quilt.  I started this in March and finished it mid August and finally had the time to write about it.
The stripes were cut into 4.5" squares, arranged in a 4-patch and sashed with a beautiful teal blue shot cotton.  The sashing finished at 1".   The quilt measures approx. 54"  x 73".

A few things about shot cottons for those unfamiliar...
Good - the colors are gorgeous and woven right into the fabric.  (My camera kept overexposing the colors. They are actually a bit deeper than shown.)
Bad - the edges shred like crazy and because they're a lighter weight than regular quilting cottons, they tend to stretch if you're not careful.

Despite the shredding and risk of stretching, I think it turned out beautiful. I quilted using a swirly stipple stitch (say that 3 times fast).
I was a little nervous putting it in the washer and dryer not being sure how much it would shrink or distort.  I'm happy to say that it turned out nice and soft with just the right amount of crinkle.  I also found that since the shot cottons are thinner, this quilt is a little more lightweight than others made with standard cotton.
I had a lot of trouble finding a backing for this and ultimately settled with this fabric that has little kimono clad figures and trees on it.  The selvage doesn't list the maker.  Maybe Alexander Henry?
I used the blue sashing fabric for the binding as well.

This quilt counts as one of my finishes for the 3rd Qtr FAL hosted by The Littlest Thistle.

Today I'm linking up with Finish it up Friday at Crazy Mom Quilts.

Joyful stitching,
Finish Along 2014

Monday, September 1, 2014

A Rootn'-Tootn' Finish

I thought it was about time to get busy on my hopeful finishes for the 3rd Qtr. FAL hosted by Katy at The Littlest Thistle.  My list can be found here.
I finished this cute little cowboy inspired quilt.  This is one of my easier hopefuls on the list.
The fabric is Sasparilla by Riley Blake.    I bought this fabric last summer when we learned that our first grandchild in the making was a boy.  I ended up making him three other quilts and this fabric just sat in my cabinet. 
The pattern is a simple tumbler block.  I have a template that is made to fit a charm square, so it couldn't be any easier.  I used 2 charm packs and added a strip of yardage to the top and bottom to make it a little bigger.  It measures 34"x43".   I topstitched a little more than a 1/4" along either side of each seam.

I used a couple of pieces of coordinating yardage on the back.
I love this print. 
I wanted the binding to stand out so I used a coordinating red star print.  The little cutie is all washed and dried and crinkled just the way I like it.

Joyful stitching,

Linking up with Lily's Small Blog Meet.
Small Blog Meet